The viral video of a mother screaming, panicking, crying because her child got poured with hot chocolate and got second degree burns has been making the rounds on social media.
According to the original post the child somehow managed to reach the hot chocolate at the counter. A few hours later a post supposedly from the mother surfaced explaining that the child was on her way to chose a toy and the crew was carrying the tray with hot chocolate when they bumped each other and said hot choco was poured all over the poor girl’s body.
Here’s the full video
Commenters are so quick to bash the parents, saying it’s the parent’s fault, calling them stupid and irresponsible. Saying her reaction was uncalled for etcetera etcetera.
Which isn’t really something new. Parent shaming has been around awhile. It’s nasty and ugly and downright horrible. People tend to bash things they don’t understand. And people tend to be meaner online because of the impersonal and detached nature of the medium.
To say that I was “triggered” is an understatement. I was so upset and felt so bad for the child and the mother it kept me up all night because 1.I am a mother, 2. I have little children, and 3. Something similar happened to us many years ago, when I was a new mom.
You see many years ago our family went through something similar also a bit publicly. And when I say abit this includes a news video and some sites covering it.
I have not talked about it for awhile because my husband and I wanted to put this horrible ordeal behind us but I feel there is still a need to demand that establishments set up emergency protocols. Because it’s still happening. And big establishments still don’t prioritize their consumer’s safety and security.
A few years ago me and my son figured in an accident inside a cinema, yes that was us.
My son was almost two years old then, and we wanted to take him out to watch robots. Midway through the movie he started getting cranky so I took him out so as not to disturb the other movie goers.
I remember the hallway of the new and supposedly posh cinema was so dark. No lights along the staircase. There was not handrails too!
Needless to say as I was carrying my boy, we fell. I remember trying to grasp something we can hold on to but there was no handrail.
I broke my leg. And my son who was shocked was crying. I crawled up the stairs with my broken leg trying to call the cinema attendant who seemed to be busy watching the movie. I tried waving at her but she didn’t see me.
I crawled back down hoping someone will see me but no one came. I was crying and shouting for help. But you know surround sound plus robots?
The hallway was so dark. I could have had a heart attack and no one would be there to help.
We must’ve sat there, a good 15 minutes before people noticed. And then we realized this big cinema, this posh mall didn’t have a first aid kit.
A guard wrapped my leg with his handkerchief.
No one knew what to do. I was lying there on the floor in excruciating pain for another 20-30 minutes.
It took more than an hour, an hour 40 minutes to be exact, before I was taken to the emergency room. No staff from the cinema came with us, no one even checked what happened or how we were.
They clearly were not trained to respond to emergencies. They didn’t even have a first aid kit!
We sent a letter to management who I felt didn’t plan on fixing the problem. I kept insisting they do something about the lack of protocols and the untrained staff but the woman I was in contact with seemed too arrogant to admit that they need to train their staff, and that they should’ve handled the situation better.
They are a big corporation after all and who am I to demand something so big. That’s additional expense for them bad for business right?
Long story short we asked the help of some friends to take this publicly. In the end we got to sit down with their GMs in a couple of meetings. During which we pointed out the lack of protocols, the lack of emergency response training, the lack of a first aid kit.
I pointed out that if a fire was to happen there lots of people could die. Do they even have fire extinguishers? Fire exits? I mean they didn’t have a first aid kit which is a lot cheaper. What if there was an earthquake the staff clearly were not trained to respond to emergencies. Hundreds of people could die in there.
They promised to work on our concerns. During our last meeting with them we were told about all the changes they did and the changes which will be applied to all their cinemas nationwide. They installed metal handrails too, which to us meant a lot.
Now whenever I see a handrail inside one of their cinemas I smile a little knowing maybe it could save another family from going through what we had to go through.
The bashing we got from online trolls and parent shamers was horrible. It did not occur to them that that fight was for all families. We had to demand that this big corporation pay attention, that they give emergency protocols and first aid training for their staff because they owe consumers that.
We had to pressure them into prioritizing their patrons’ safety. Because we didn’t want another family to go through what we had to go through. And for us it just wasn’t right to be running a multi million business, to be earning millions from consumers and not be able to buy a friggin first aid kit.
We felt that these establishments demand so much money from us, they earn millions from us consumers. The least that they can do is give us quality service, care about us like human beings, and not just objects they can make profit from.
We consumers, especially families, deserve to be in an environment where we will be safe. Where our safety and security will be prioritized. Where if accidents were to happen we’ll be assisted and helped.
We parents need to strive and work together to demand that these big corporations treat us right instead of bashing each other.
We deserve first aid kits, we deserve emergency protocols in place, we need staff who are trained to respond to our children’s emergencies.